Basketball is one of the most popular and widely viewed sports in the world with the NBA the most significant league in the sport. Basketball is a fast paced game which involves two teams of five players on a rectangular court scoring into a raised basket at either end.
- See Also:
- Wheelchair Basketball
An Overview of Basketball
Basketball is an end to end game which involves moving the ball to and shooting into the opposition's basket. The ball can be passed or dribbled by bouncing the ball. Teams can score 2 points or 3 points depending on where on the court they shoot into the basket.
Basketball is popular in Glasgow and the city is host to it's own professional team, the Glasgow Rocks based at the Emirates Arena. There are also lots of opportunities to play basketball at club or recreational level across Glasgow. To check out Glasgow Sport's Basketball sessions please click here and for a list of Basketball clubs in Glasgow
- Basketball is a fun sport that can be challenging, a good workout and enjoyable for all abilities.
- The mixture of running, jumping, pivoting and twisting helps improve balance and build endurance.
- Excellent way to boost coordination and balance through dribbling, passing and shooting the basketball
- Team game nature means it is an excellent way to develop communication skills and learn to work effectively with other people.
Basketball is an inexpensive sport to start playing with no need for equipment when attending a session or club. Balls will be provided and you only need to come dressed suitably for indoor activity. Sessional costs will vary from provider to provider and it is best to contact them directly to discuss.
- Only a hoop and basketball required for a match
- Be sure to wear comfortable shoes and clothing
- Men's basketball was introduced to the Olympics in 1936, with women given their own competition in 1976.
Find Basketball Activities Near You
Use the search below to find local activities near you.
National Governing Bodies
- Contact Telephone
- 44(0)131 317 7260